Wednesday, October 31, 2007

2.0 Journey

Over the last month or so, I've done the "23 steps" for our TLC 2.0 challenge. I personally have found it useful in a wide variety of ways. Some of the tools I found more easy to use than others. Just as an example I personally thought LibraryThing and learning about RSS feeds were easy to understand and do and most importantly for me showed me ways to immediately make an impact in my life and job. LibraryThing with its tagging and personal cataloging features to me appeals both to libraries in potentially helping users find items they are looking for, plus has the capability to be a personal cataloging site where you can easily catalog your own book collection.

I just thought LibraryThing has a lot of value for both librarians and casual book lovers alike. RSS feeds, which I did not know a lot about and bloglines in particular was simple to use... either click on the RSS button or use the specified URL and through bloglines (and other sites) you create your own personalized database of web materials. You pick and choose the sites and place you want information from and weed out a lot of the extra content... to me that is almost the definition of usefulness.

Some of the other tools from Rollyo to Del.icio.us to Flickr were interesting from my perspective as I was not as familiar with some of their tools and capabilities. Thus, it provided with the chance to get familiarized with tools that will be useful now and in the future hopefully. Ultimately, that is what I got out of the 2.0 exercises was a chance to learn and play with a variety of tools (some that I knew about, some I did not) that help me as a professional and stay up to date with some of the growing technological trends. As everyone knows, in the 21st century it is extremely important for libraries and librarians to have knowledge and skill set that is far reaching so we can always be enabled to help our users find what they need.
(And if similar programs are offered in the future I would definitely participate.)

No comments: